In Episode 18 of the Everbetter Ideas podcast, I talk about conversation starters that I had available on handwritten note cards when I hosted “It’s like book club, but different”.
As I was planning my event, I found several great resources online related to facilitating a book club. Everything from selecting a great location to what questions to ask to facilitate the discussion.
This is a great resource that helped me come up with my own short list of questions and discussion topics.
I’ll have this list handy for my next book club event!
- Talk about the author
- Share your overview of the book in 60 seconds or less.
- Read an excerpt.
- Read the inside or back cover.
- Read the reviews.
- Talk about how you found the book. Was it referred to you?
- What did you like about the book?
- What did you dislike?
- If the book were made into a movie, what character would you like to play?
- If the book were made into a movie, what actors should be cast into the various roles?
- Did this book remind you of anything? Other books? Experiences from your past? Songs? Artwork? People?
- Did the book inspire you in any way?
- Did you learn anything new reading this book?
- Is the story believable? Does it need to be?
- Have you read other books by this author?
Other, non-book discussion topics that could be good ice breakers:
- Have you been to a book club before? Describe that experience.
- Have you written or illustrated books?
- Would you be interested in writing or illustrating books?
- What is your favorite book format (e.g. electronic, paperback, etc.)?
- How much reading do you generally do?
- What is your favorite genre?
- What is your best source for finding new things to read? Examples: libraries, book stores, online, thrift shops, book swapping with friends.
- Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction?
- When is the last time you went to a library?
- When you go to a book store (online or in real life) do you know what you are looking for or do you find yourself browsing titles?
What questions or ice breakers would you add to this list?
P.S. I’d also suggest listening to Episode 17 to hear my thoughts on the Original Social Media. Book clubs!